Subclass 491 (applicable from 16 Nov 2019)
This visa was previously known as 489 visa which was a popular regional sponsored visa. The 489 visa has now changed to Skilled Work Regional Provisional Visa subclass 491 from 16 Nov 2019. This visa allows you to stay in a regional area for 5 years and also provide medicare eligibility. You may apply for a permanent residency if you satisfy the living, working and earning requirement for three years in the regional area.
- Your occupation must be on the list skilled occupation list
- You must have a skills assessment
- Minimum English requirement is 6 band each in IELTS or equivalent PTE.
- Minimum points threshold is 65 points
- Must be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency, or an eligible relative must sponsor you
If you have relevant study or experience in any of the listed occupation then you may satisfy the 491 requirement. The candidate with no English or lower than the required English and also do not have skills assessment, may look for the 482 visa and DAMA agreement.
- Similar to 489 visa the new 491 visa will also allows you to take sponsorship from the regional Australia or a relative residing in a designated regional Australia.
- Point test changes are as follows: